One freshman gives her review of ‘The Notebook’

Claire, Staff Writer

The twelve-time award winning romance/drama “The Notebook” is based on the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks and directed by Nick Cassavetes. Nicholas Sparks inspired the books, “Message in a Bottle” and “A Walk to Remember,” which are both known as real tear jerkers, just like “The Notebook.”   

“The Notebook” takes place in the 1940s, when young lovers are torn apart because of class differences. “The Notebook” switches back and forth between a couple in two different stages of their life. We see the fiery young romance, which turns to them as an old couple throughout the movie as they face other challenges. 

Beginning with the background of the story, The young lovers’ names are Allie Nelson and Noah Calhoun. As teenagers, played by Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling, as older people, played by Gena Rowlands and James Garner. Allie is a rich kid whose parents expect her to find a wealthy and successful man. Yet Noah on the other hand, is a local kid who works at a mill, yet he is very intelligent, his father is supportive and altruistic. So just by this information you can expect major obstacles that put their relationship to the test. 

Many critics have mixed feelings when it comes to “The Notebook,” some even calling it “toxic” and “the worst”. After reading some readers’ opinions about “The Notebook” it brought to my attention how they found Noah creepy and almost stalkerish, which made me embarrassed that I didn’t see the red flags. He liked the way she looked on a carnival ride, he completely forced her into saying yes to their first date, and pretty much spends the rest of his life pining for her and we don’t hear very much appreciation from him about her. 

As for the rest of the movie, I did feel a lot of sadness the first several times I watched it. The way the movie took you from the beginning of their love story to the end, showing you every aspect made me feel like I was in their shoes, that I was a part of their love story. “The Notebook” is a timeless love story — true love was present between them. The ending of the movie let me know that love is powerful, love is the most beautiful thing we have and that we are all capable of. “The Notebook” is easily my favorite movie I’ve ever watched, and I strongly recommend you take the time to watch it.  

Final take: 4 of 5 stars