Online school affecting students

Online school affecting students

"D.A.M." by SiSter PhotograPher is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Josie, Staff Writer

Transitioning to online school has different challenges for the various age groups affected. Teachers and students alike are learning to adjust to online school and the workload that comes with it. Students of different ages and grades in school seem to be having drastically different experiences and receiving very different workloads.

“Cure’ of Ars decided to not take any grades for the fourth quarter,” sixth grader Allison Lynn said. “This has made me less stressed because instead of focusing on my grade, I’m focusing on what’s most important, which is that I learn and understand the material.”

Sixth graders are enjoying their gradeless quarter, but each school has responded to these issues differently.

“I feel like I’m getting a decent amount of work,” Bishop Miege sophomore Emily Lynn said. “It’s not too much.”

The Bishop Miege administration has lowered the amount of homework to one hour per class every week for regular classes and one hour and thirty minutes for honors classes. Emily, who participates in honors and AP classes, said she had about two or three hours of homework every night, but college sophomore Megan Lynn said that she receives much more.

“Teachers are giving us more due dates to make sure we’re keeping up, but it’s a lot of work and I’m finding it very challenging to keep up,” Megan said.

The amount of work college students receive will differ depending on their teachers and the classes they are taking, but regardless it is evident that college students are facing a much heavier workload than middle and high schoolers. The students who receive more work are facing more stress and less free time.

“I love having free time,” Allison said. “Since online school started, I’ve had more time to do things like read and play basketball.”

Allison also reported that she felt very little school-related stress. However, high schoolers still feel school-related stress and anxiety of varying degrees.

“I still feel stressed about school at times, but I have definitely been less stressed since online school started,” Emily said. “I like being able to get my work done on my own time.”

Allison and Emily could both agree that they’ve been less stressed during online school, but Megan has had a very different experience.

“The workload is awful,” Megan said. “I don’t have free time.”

Schools are understandably still learning to adjust to this unexpected change.

“This is all very new to the world,” Julie Lynn, mother of five, said. “It’s imperative that we are patient and supportive of each other in such a difficult time.”