Staying Connected: As students return to school, online learning stays continuous

Fully+remote+learners+navigate+online+learning.+As+of+Nov.+3%2C+Miege+has+more+than+50+full-time+remote+students.+

MaryKathryn Wert

Fully remote learners navigate online learning. As of Nov. 3, Miege has more than 50 full-time remote students.

Mary-Kathryn Wert, Staff Writer

School is back in session and as masks become the new normal, online learning does too.

Students have started to weigh the pros and cons of online learning and the responses have been positive. Out of the 16 online students who responded to a survey, 13 students said they enjoy online learning. 

“So far the online learning has been great,” senior Tayt Harbour said. “I was online the first semester last year due to a surgery and came back at semester. We were in school for a month and a half or so then COVID-19 happened, so I’ve basically been online for a year and a half at this point so there was no real adjustment for me.”

An advantage for students is the preparedness that comes along with this year as well. Adjusting to online learning and keeping a routine has also been easier than when in-person, according to senior Leilani Elder.

Her routine consists of waking up early, getting ready for the day then attending her online classes. During lunch, she takes the opportunity to charge her chromebook and take a break. While time management may seem hard, it comes to Elder easily.

“I’m a fairly routine oriented person, so finding a routine early on was easy,” Elder said. 

Although praises are high for online learning, there are some struggles for students. From technical difficulties to distractions, students still have more to desire and learn from their online experience.

“What hasn’t worked really well is working in a group with in-person students, taking tests or the prevention of taking tests, and the inclusion of remote students in class, which involves either answering a question or reading from a text as the connection always seems to mess up when a remote student decides to speak.” junior Dawson Ribbey said.

This year has been full of firsts with things like hybrid learning and wearing masks to school. The support of online learning begs the question: will it become a continuous option for students? 

The success and challenges students like Elder, Ribbey and Harbour have found online shows the flexibility of learning. Their key to success is finding what works and fixing whatever doesn’t work.

“Find a routine and stick to that routine like it’s your religion,” Elder said. “It makes the difference between you passing a class or failing.”