Student Who Rock: Freshmen students play musical instruments outside of school

Freshmen students play musical instruments outside of school.

Julia Meyers

Julia Meyers, Staff Writer

She feels the vibration from the guitar on her fingertips. Dust particles of sunlight flow through her window. The crisp pages of her notebook smell like a new book. The sound of a new cord resonates throughout the room. 

For freshman Emma Masters, she said she enjoys playing and learning to get better. 

But Masters is not alone in her musical journey. 

Freshman Sophia Craig also plays the guitar, and Rose Lopez plays the piano. 

Neither three girls play in band class, but rather they use their instruments as a hobby and to help with their mental health. 

“It’s very peaceful, and it’s something that can get your mind off of a bunch of different things,” Masters said. “For me, it helps me cope with stress and anxiety.” 

According to Liverpool Academy of Music, playing an instrument is scientifically proven to lower amounts of stress and anxiety. Not only that but it also keeps the mind agile, improves memory and the ability to problem solve. 

“I just see piano as just kind of an outlet from everything. Lopez said. “It just allows me to go into a different, like, kind of realm or whatever you want to say just to be able to express myself musically.” 

As part of that, Lopez said she likes to play bold, and deep songs. She also likes to mess around  with music.

“It’s more just kind of throwing things together. I don’t write it down. But it just kind of all stays in my head and on the piano keys.”

For Lopez, playing an instrument is something that everyone has to do in her family. But for Craig, her mom and sister are the ones who introduced her into it.

“My sister started first with piano, and then my mother decided to put me into it as well, and I ended up really liking it,” Craig said.

As high school life can get a little chaotic, sometimes it’s hard to find time to play.

“I try to play at least once a day, if possible.” Craig said. “Usually during my sports seasons, it’s more like every other day, but I just try and fit it in wherever I like.” 

For Masters, sometimes she struggles trying to find a place to play her instrument.

“Sometimes my parents are like, ‘You need to be quiet, it’s too late. You can’t play at this time of night.’ And so I think my room was definitely the safest option.” 

If Masters isn’t playing at her house, she’s playing at church with a group of other girls.

“It would just be a large group of girls. We’d all sit down, and then I’d strum and sing.”  Emma said. “They’d sing with us and stuff like that. It was a lot of fun. And I enjoyed that.”

Lopez and Craig have had experience playing on a stage for recitals. 

“I found it very fun, it made it so much more exhilarating to learn your piece and memorize it fully so you didn’t need sheet music,” Craig said. 

Craig has played in festivals as well. She said it is a huge festival that she has performed in twice.  

Lopez also played in recitals when she was younger and now plays for others. 

“I always play in front of my family and sometimes for other families that are over,” Lopez says. 

She said she has never gotten overly worried before performing, 

“I wouldn’t say I’ve ever gotten super, super nervous.” Rose said. “It’s always just kind of been like, I know what I’m doing. This is a part of me.”