A “Sign” of Change: Sophomore Michaela Wilcox introduces first ASL Club

Ana Gajewski

For the first time, Miege has a club centered on students interested in learning American Sign Language. This club was introduced in 2022.

Ana Gajewski, Social Media Editor

Sophomore Michaela Wilcox is the founder of the brand new American Sign Language Club. After she became interested in learning ASL she decided the best way to go about learning would be with other people so she formed the club.

“I started having an interest in learning it, but it is hard to learn by yourself so I thought having a group of people would be better,” Wilcox said.

According to Wilcox, she knew some basics but realized she needed others to help teach her and those who are also in the club. At the meetings, they have mini ASL lessons by watching official interpreter YouTube videos. 

I started having an interest in learning it, but it is hard to learn by yourself so I thought having a group of people would be better.

— Sophomore Michaela Wilcox

“We watch the videos of the signs and then practice with each other,” Wilcox said. 

They plan to have a professional interpreter come to their next meeting. Many schools in the Kansas City area do not offer ASL as a foreign language credit but Wilcox said she hopes one day it will be. 

“I thought if we started it as a club, then we could maybe have it as a class,” Wilcox said.