Unconventional: Freshman shows creativity in the form of nail art

Mary-Kathryn Wert, Co-Print Editor in Chief

From everyday people to celebrities, the popularity of the nail industry has expanded with social media. For freshman Sienna Ortiz, her love of nails and limited budget pushed her to learn how to do nails.

According to Statistica, the average price of a full set of acrylic nails in the United States is 46.01 dollars. Ortiz said she would typically spend around 100 dollars for a full set of nails.

“I was just tired of paying to get my nails done all of the time, so I thought that I should learn how to do them myself,” Ortiz said.

Ortiz first started learning how to do nails around May of 2022 after getting her nails done regularly since sixth grade.

“I taught myself by watching YouTube videos,” Ortiz said.

Ortiz currently takes clients and runs an Instagram account for her nail art. Clients reach out to her over social media and Ortiz said she typically sees three clients a week. She uses her Instagram account, @nailsbysienna, to show people the process of nails and final products.

“For me, it takes around two hours for a full set of nails,” Ortiz said. “You have to prep the nails, apply the acrylics, shape them and then create the designs.”

Ortiz embraces the challenges that come with her craft, working with others and the time needed.

“Sometimes there are days where you feel like you don’t do nails as good as other days,” Ortiz said. “It’s all about consistency.”

According to Ortiz, she experiences multiple benefits from a set of nails in the form of self-empowerment.

“When my nails are done, I feel better about myself,” Ortiz said. “It’s fun to have them and they make my outfits better.”

Like traditional artists, Ortiz finds her inspiration from both her clients and the work of others. While she does not consider it a business, Ortiz said she hopes to turn it into one.

“I like that I get to be creative when doing nails,” Ortiz said. “For me, it’s a form of art and I love to create art.”