The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Setting Up the Future: Girls varsity volleyball gains six new freshman

Scoring+the+final+point+of+the+set%2C+freshman+Finely+LeMay+helps+set+the+tone+for+the+match.+The+Stags+lost++on+Sept.+14+to+St.+James.+%E2%80%9CWhen+were+on+the+court%2C+its+not+like+theyre+upperclassmen+and+were+underclassmen%2C%E2%80%9D+freshman+Maryn+Dean+said.+%E2%80%9CWere+all+the+same.+
Megan Mayer
Scoring the final point of the set, freshman Finely LeMay helps set the tone for the match. The Stags lost on Sept. 14 to St. James. “When we’re on the court, it’s not like they’re upperclassmen and we’re underclassmen,” freshman Maryn Dean said. “We’re all the same.”

As the whistle blew, the first bounce of the ball echoed through the space of the gym. Players dove, students roared and the game began. 

Freshman Georgia LeMay begins the season as a varsity volleyball starter.

LeMay, joined by two other freshmen, started at the first game of the season, and two more freshmen played in the later rotations.

“They’re not on our bench and just sit, all of them play,” head volleyball coach Lindsay Franco said. “So, it’s definitely a large number with a different dynamic than what I’ve been used to.”

LeMay said that the team needed to work on their communication skills during the Aug. 26 St. Teresa’s game but has plans for improvement.

“I definitely feel like we could have played better, but we’re still getting the groove of our team,” LeMay said.  “We’re all still just getting to know each other like getting to play as a team.”

Freshman Maryn Dean said she enjoyed playing against people older than her because she had played with them at her club, Dynasty 15 Black.

“The first time you play against them, it’s a little bit intimidating, but it gets fun afterwards because the ball gets hit harder,” Dean said.

The freshmen viewed the upperclassmen as supportive and welcoming to them. LeMay said that they always invite them to hang out with the team.

“I think our upperclassmen do a really good job, our seniors specifically, of bringing everyone in, keeping us as a cohesive unit and keeping team chemistry versus a freshman versus upperclassmen thing,” Franco said. 

As well as the upperclassmen making the new teammates feel supported, freshman Samantha Schleicher said that Franco has made an impact on the team and helped them improve on their skills. 

“I feel like she pushes us and can really see all the potential in everyone,” Schleicher said.

Finley LeMay, twin sister of Georgia, said she feels like the team has a good dynamic and is always there to help each other.

“It’s a very good environment to be in,” Finley said. “Everyone helps you.” 

Finley said she believes she has become a better player since joining the team, and the upperclassmen have been a big part of that.

“They talk to you during practice, encourage you and give you tips to be better,” Finley said.