The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Painting A New Start: The Art Club and NAHS return

Sophomore+Nadia+Henre+illustrates+an+art+piece+for+art+teacher%2C+Michael+Longs+introductory+class%2C+Drawing+and+Painting+I.++
MC Dunn
Sophomore Nadia Henre illustrates an art piece for art teacher, Michael Long’s introductory class, Drawing and Painting I.

Over the summer, co-presidents of the art club, Bianca Bair and Maggie Brennan began a plan to restart the art club and National Arts Honors Society. With assistance from art teacher Michael Long, Bair and Brennan lead both clubs with a multitude of goals and experience to shape a new path for the art program. 

Students creating their art portfolios joined along the way as both presidents began to build a larger crowd of artists to expand the opportunities. Flex time became the space for meetings last year, highlighting to Bair the need for an official club. Brennan and Bair worked alongside Long over the span of summer break to set the foundation for what activities students would take part in. 

“Last year we had a selective group of people who were serious about art and would come into Mr. Long’s room during flex time,” Bair said. “I thought that if we’re already together, we should do something with that time.”

One of the club’s goals is to benefit other programs such as sports, choir and auctions. 

“The Archbishop’s exhibit is something that happens in March so we have the opportunity to take ten pieces of art from Miege and highlight our artistic talent here,” Long said. “Last year we won the Bishop’s Award which is the highest award given and four or five of my students sold their artwork.”

The club has started to establish how it wants to serve the community and staff this year. The club painted bricks in the football stadium, writing the names of players on sports teams to showcase support for their season. Later this winter, the club will also illustrate its own Christmas cards. 

“Christmas cards are something we’re doing,” Long said. “Once they pick out a design, we’ll mail them out to Miege alumni.”

Each club member brought different talents and personal styles to the table. For Bair, jewelry serves as an outlet to explore and represent her identity by using different techniques. Bair has run her own shop for the past four years, selling necklaces and earrings embellished often with crystals. 

“I see jewelry as a form of art and an expression,” Bair said. “It relates stories and beliefs through something as simple as beads around your neck.” 

To keep things on track, Bair and Brennan planned monthly activities to make the most of their time. Both presidents want to give students opportunities and further improve the art program as their final touch on the program before the end of their senior year.  

“I’d love to get into metalworking and pottery at some point in the future for the club,” Bair said. “It’s a spot for people to come in and do art and have a good space for it.”