The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fostering Regulars into Doctors: School’s new health classes are connecting kids with the medical world

Evie McBride
Junior Michaela Wilcox examines a skeleton model in new Human Body Systems class.

Each year, the school provides more diversity in course selection, and this year has brought a focus on the Health Sciences and Medicine academic community. The class offered — PLTW Human Body Systems – has drawn in a variety of students for its in-depth dive into what chasing a medical career would involve, as well as other classes added in recent years with the same premise. 

Since the class is based on a college-prep curriculum, it prepares students for the workload that they would face when pursuing these careers in the future, according to science teacher Mary Beth Summers, who brought the new class this year as well as Principles of Biomedical Science last year. 

“Some people thought they would like it but do not realize how much work it will take and end up uninterested,” Summers said. “Yet, I am glad that we can offer the class because if people think they are interested in nursing or forensic sciences, these classes will help them realize if they actually are.”

In recent years, Summers added new classes in her field with the purpose of exposing students to what the STEM career path has to offer.

“The classes are not only about health care – they are about all different facets of science,” Summers said. “The new classes offer students the opportunity to listen to speakers come and talk about their jobs, in the new class specifically to teach students more about physical therapy.”

Summers implements real-world insight for her Human Body Systems students as well as those in her academic community by offering internships, shadow days and professional speakers.

Some of the speakers who have visited include nurses in oncology, cardiac surgery, research science doctors, EMTs and medical examiners

“We get the opportunity to hear from people who have been through it, been there, and done that in the medical field,” senior Jack Young said, who has taken both of the medical electives. “It is helping us narrow down on what we exactly want to do.”

According to Young, he plans to pursue his studies in healthcare in college and the future. The course additions have presented unprecedented opportunities for Young in his academic community. He will explore the specifics of a medical career path while in high school with exclusive experiences available from the classes.

One of these experiences includes the UMKC shadow day in December. Summers will be taking a group of 25 medical students to tour the facility, but is also arranging other internship opportunities in the Health Sciences and Medicine community. If interested, she insists that students reach out to her via email or in person to get set up on Google Classroom, as there are no prerequisites necessary for students to get involved.

Another facet that students are enjoying in the new class is an environment age-friendly to students of all grades. Freshman Guiness George speaks from his perspective as a first-year student in the medical classes.

“I appreciate that, especially as a freshman, Summers will take the time to explain in a way that even the complex stuff will make sense to you,” George said. “She does a good job diving into the concepts and making sure you get it before you start what she has planned.”

According to another student in his class, senior Alanah Garcia, the teaching style consists of interactive challenges that require students to apply problem-solving skills.

“I like how involved the classes are – it is the reason I picked them,” Garcia said. “I get a sense of the biology behind how the body works before I head to college, and it has shown me the range of medical people and jobs that are out there. I also see how much these jobs impact everyday life.”

The school will continue extending the medical academic community in the future to keep students progressing in their studies. 

“We definitely have room for improvement,” Summers said. “But I also feel like we offer a lot more classes in comparison to some of the other academic communities, and so are really lucky with what we have to offer and what is to come.”