The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Play Preview: Cast members reveal first impressions of winter show after audition results announced

Practicing+his+comedic+monologue%2C+senior+Alex+Smith+prepares+for+the+winter+show%2C+The+Man+Who+Came+to+Dinner.+Auditions+and+callbacks+took+place+from+Nov.+29-30+and+the+cast+list+was+posted+on+Dec.+1.+I+wanted+to+make+sure+I+was+connecting+with+the+audience+and+projecting+because+those+are+the+two+biggest+elements+in+acting+I+feel+that+people+forget+about%2C+Smith+said.+
Evie McBride
Practicing his comedic monologue, senior Alex Smith prepares for the winter show, “The Man Who Came to Dinner.” Auditions and callbacks took place from Nov. 29-30 and the cast list was posted on Dec. 1. “I wanted to make sure I was connecting with the audience and projecting because those are the two biggest elements in acting I feel that people forget about,” Smith said.

The lights flash on an empty stage revealing nothing but a desk and chair. A table of comedic monologues greets the students who are preparing to audition for the play, “The Man Who Came to Dinner.” 

“The Man Who Came to Dinner” is a comedy by Moss Hart and George Kaufman regarding an eccentric writer who breaks his hip in a fall and becomes stuck in the house of the hosts he ate with. Over the weeks he is healing, he drives the residents of the home insane as more and more problems arise. Director Katie Berry chose this show due to the large number of parts.

“You do not find a lot of high-quality plays that are also large casts,” Berry said. “It is a great example of a true gigantic comedy, and this may be the last year for a little bit with our department size where we can pull off something like this.”

Auditions and callbacks took place from Nov. 29-30, and the cast list was posted on Dec. 1. This year, instead of watching all the auditions in the auditorium, the prospective cast signed up for audition slots. Senior Benedict Balino, playing Dr. Bradley, said that he is welcoming the new change. 

“We go into the room ,and [Ms. Berry] gives you a sheet of dialogue to act out,” Balino said. “For callbacks, we might be auditioning with other people. Personally, I like to be with other people, but I am okay with going by myself.”

Before auditioning, Berry suggests learning about the show and deciding what characters to try out for.

“I always recommend that if you can to read the play or at least read through the character list, you then have your eyes on the prize,” Berry said. “Often I find that if you at least kind of know what you are aiming for then you choose the audition piece you want to use and be making acting choices with a stronger purpose.”

Twenty-three people made the final cast. Senior Francis Cressey is the lead of the show, playing Sheridan Whiteside.

“When I first found out, I was kind of in disbelief,” Cressey said. “When I saw it, I had to do a double take, and then I immediately started calling my entire family to let them know.”

The other main character is Maggie Cutler, Whiteside’s secretary, who will be portrayed by senior Bianca Bair.

“The hour after I found out I was giddy,” Bair said. “I found myself blushing and laughing to myself. I am sure I was annoying to the people around me.”

Sophomore Sophia Nguyen’s primary advice for students who are thinking about auditioning in the future is to not be nervous as everyone in the audition room is there for you. She is portraying the character of Miss Preen, Whiteside’s nurse. 

“The only person you are there to impress is Ms. Berry,” Nguyen said. “You are there to show off your skills, and nothing can hurt you by going all out.”

Balino recommended that everyone should try out for a show. Even with nerves, Balino suggested slowing down and using expressive body language. 

“You realize that everyone else is probably feeling the same way as you,” Balino said. “Ms. Berry is one of the coolest people ever, and she has seen a lot of auditions. She has also been in the same place as you at some point in her life, so just be relaxed.”