The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Softball Senior Spotlight: Upperclassmen prepare for final season

Evie McBride

The clink of a bat sent a softball whirling through the air. It bounced off the ground as a cloud of dirt formed around senior co-captain Katie Kolarik’s glove. She fielded the ball and threw it to the first baseman.

Kolarik has played on club teams for much of her life and has competed for Miege since she was a freshman. This season marks her last in high school.

“I am looking forward to having fun with the team again, one last time,” Kolarik said. “I mean, it is fun every year and we are always really close. Senior night will be fun along with getting to be a captain and seeing how the team works.”

Tryouts occurred from Feb. 26-29. Three underclassmen tried out, and senior co-captain Jada Gilliland said she feels excited about the new prospects. 

“We definitely have a lot of younger girls, but they come in and work hard,” Gilliland said. “We are all just ready for the season to start.”

Gilliland has also participated in the sport for many years, beginning her softball career at 4 years old. As a co-captain, she said she feels ready to take on the position.  

“You have to take on more of a leadership role,” Gilliland said. “Obviously, the younger kids look up to us, and I want to be a leader to them. I want everyone to be on the same page when we play.”

Senior Natalie Ramirez began playing the sport with her friends during her freshman year. While she was initially unsure if she would like to play, support from the team encouraged her to continue.   

“Being on the field with my teammates really helps us bond together,” Ramirez said. “It is never putting each other down; it is always lifting each other up. If we make a mistake, we stick with it and that brings us together.”

Off the field, the team participates in regular dinners and sleepovers to build trust and become closer. According to Ramirez, this comradery translates to practices and games. 

“I really love the community that [softball] brought to me,” Ramirez said. “I feel that now I am more open than I was freshman year, and I feel like I can now talk to more people. That is what the sport is really all about.”

According to Kolarik, anyone who wants to learn about the sport should try out for the team next year.

“Just go out,” Kolarik said. “It is a really fun sport to play, and you can get to know it very well. The girls that play are always really fun and accepting, so go have fun.”