The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Swooping Ahead: Girls lacrosse follows national trend as it gains over 15 new players

Megan Mayer

Lacrosse for both girls and boys has been on an uprise as teams gain more and more players each year. Girls lacrosse increased in players by over 30 percent, similar to other high schools throughout the country. It has been expressed as ‘The Sport of Today’s Youth’ according to the Army and Navy Academy as two professional leagues have emerged in the last three decades.  

According to USA Lacrosse, five states have recently officially sanctioned lacrosse as a state championship sport.

The girls expressed how playing a constant sport helped them expand their skills and diversity as athletes. 

“It’s a lot more of a contact sport. I’ll go out of practice with a lot of bruises; you can’t be soft, you have to understand that people are going to push you,” Lili Switzer said.

Both boys and girls teams expressed that lacrosse exerts more team spirit than other sports they have played, resulting in a tight team bond. 

“I definitely think everyone has a sibling-like relationship,” senior Lili Switzer said. “I can mess with a lot of people, but when it is time for a game they know when to stop messing around and get focused.”

Lili’s sister Luci Switzer is no novice to the game as she played club and recreational leagues for three years.

“My favorite thing about lacrosse is how different it is from other sports,” freshman Luci Switzer said. “I feel like it’s aggressive but you still have to have skill and work hard to be good. But once you pick it up, it’s easy to learn.”

All around, game days were said to be the highlight of the season for the team. Alumni Maggie Nobblit who graduated in 2023, began the tradition of playing hype music as a game day ritual. 

JV girls lacrosse goes out to ‘thank their goalie’, MVP Madi Nelson. Photo by Bella Dessert

“I especially like the games because usually my friends and classmates come to watch it,” Lili Switzer said. “It’s fun to be in the stadium with all the bleachers and people watching you. You feel like a football player.”

Coach Ross Dessert has coached girls lacrosse for 24 years and has truly made an impact on the girls as players and individuals. 

“Mr. Dessert has a lot of years of experience that he incorporates into practice and it’s definitely insightful,” Lili Switzer said.