Empowering the Community: New club provides opportunities to assist the less fortunate

Natalie Martinez

On Oct. 30, the Catholic Women’s Empowerment Club made lasagna, garlic bread, cookies and brownies to serve at Sheffield Place.

Natalie Martinez, Photography Editor

From learning about different saints to going out to serve others, the new Catholic Women’s Empowerment Club – founded by sophomore girls – seeks to help Catholic women gain the support they need.

The club researched different places to participate in community service while receiving hands-on serving experience. Sophomore vice president Clare Hansen said the group wanted to do service in and outside of school.

“We wanted to impact change,” Hansen said. 

On Oct. 30, the club visited Sheffield Place to serve food to homeless women and their families. 

“The Sheffield Place is a program that helps get women out of the cycle of poverty and provides therapy and housing for them and their children,” Hansen said. 

After they finished serving food, the club members had dinner with the woman and their families, as well as played with their children.

In preparation to serve food, the club met earlier that day to make a variety of desserts and food.

“We got there at school around 2 p.m and everyone bought supplies, teachers and the girls in the club,” sophomore president Elaina Gibson said. “We unpacked them, and then all the mothers started arriving so we set it up and served the food.”

Sophomore secretary Julia Meyers was unable to physically go to Sheffield Place due to her age, but hopes her work contributed to the group.

“A couple days before we went to Elaina’s house we made lasagna and made candy bags for the kids so they would have something special for them,” Meyers said. “I am excited to start doing more little projects, because I think it will add to our club community by helping more people around us.” 

Through this club, Hansen is ready to help women grow in their faith and builds that into each meeting. 

“We usually start by learning about a Catholic woman or saint, and then during their story we do a prayer,” Hansen said. 

The is helping women feel comfortable speaking out about issues like abortion.

“We were talking last year and we realized that not a lot of people talk about really important events,” Hansen said. “They just get so angry and we wanted to create a club that’s just about listening basically and then focusing on the good that we can do as Catholic women.”

Junior River Ball said that the club is a great opportunity for all Catholics to come together as one voice.

“The club is really welcoming to all,” Ball said. “It’s so fun because everyone there wants everyone else to be happy. We always try to support each other in everything we do.”