The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New Gym, New Bleachers: New Bleachers in the Gym Bring New Life to School Assemblies

Cody Israel
The gym got a renovation over the summer, and along with those renovation the bleachers sound system and the lights got an upgrade

Alongside the gym renovations over the summer, new bleachers joined the list for improvements- except now they are smaller than last year. 

Many of the herds now mix much more than they did last year since the new bleachers are smaller and might pose a problem for future planning.

“There’s going to be more people down on the floor so it’s going to be harder to corral everyone,” senior Millie executive Benjamin Frey said. “I think it will come into play a little bit when planning,”

Leaders are still figuring out what this means for the future of basketball and volleyball games. Smaller bleachers mean that it may be challenging to find a seat for all of the visitors.

“The bleachers are really small, to be honest,” Frey said, “I was thinking for basketball games this winter we will have to utilize the top bleachers more that are above the goal.”

The new bleachers make the gym look more established according to some students but leave some students still wanting more space to sit during assemblies and games over the school year, so students on Herd Council face a new difficulty

“The bleachers look cool, to have the ‘Go Stags Go’ [on them], but I don’t think it was worth giving up that much bleacher space,” Frey said. “I don’t know how we’re going to fit everyone in there.”

Current debate surrounds the benefits of the new bleachers, as limited space makes students closer in assemblies. In contrast, senior volleyball player Ava Martin finds that closer proximity boosts the spirit of the student section. 

“Everyone seems to fit pretty well on the bleachers and it brings the energy up,” Martin said. “We also use the new speakers and sound system during practice, so we can play a lot of music and it’s just really fun.” 

Some students such as sophomore Mateo Madrigal, didn’t have the same attitude when it came to having less space to sit in the gym.

“It’s bad because one end is shorter than the other,” Madrigal said. “We won’t be able to fit as many people for assemblies.” 

According to sophomore David Zavala, the new bleachers bring a new life to the gym, and with that new life, more people will start showing up to games. 

“It will make the whole gym more lively and fill the atmosphere because since there is less space it will look like a lot more people are in the room,” Zavala said

According to Frey, the bleachers will bring more to the gym during assemblies held there.

“I wouldn’t say that it is going to be out of control, but like there will be some moments that are pretty rowdy”