The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Techies Turn Spotlight: Two sophomores switch to the stage

Evan Ulmer
Sophomore Joshua Collins acts in his first play as Professor Metz. The show took place from Thursday, February 1 through Saturday, February 3.

Sophomore Joshua Collins steps into the auditorium and receives a new script. All the play cast members sat in a circle and began to highlight their lines. Senior River Ball said the first line and the read-through begins.

Collins and sophomore Spencer Moxley shifted gears from behind-the-scenes tech work to make their theatrical debuts in the winter play. 

“Last year, when I was doing tech, I was able to see the actors on stage and I saw their passion and how much fun they were having,” Collins said. “When I saw that, it made me drawn to acting in Miege theater.”

According to Collins, acting is significantly more time-consuming than working in tech. Before he only needed to be there for one or two weeks but his role required attendance for two months every night. Practices end at 6:30 p.m. but during show week, rehearsal lasts until 10 p.m.

“It can be hard to manage and overwhelming if you have a lot of lines but it’s just a matter of going to more rehearsals, which can be a lot on your schedule,” Moxley said.

Moxley found that prior participation in the tech team helped him to gain a better grasp on if something goes wrong, how he needs to adapt to it.

“I’m a lot more patient on tech days because I know what the tech people have to go through,” Collins said.

Sophomore Luke Allen auditioned for last year’s winter play, “While the Light Were Out,”  and wasn’t cast, so he stage-managed it instead. He then auditioned for this year’s winter play, “The Man Who Came to Dinner” and received the supporting role of Beverly Carlton.

“Don’t give up even if you don’t get cast because there is always a chance next show you will be the lead or a crowd favorite,” Allen said. “Just keep trying.”

Allen has been rehearsing for around six weeks now, practicing lines and stage directions for different scenes and even memorizing a new song in four days.

“I’ve always been semi-good at doing accents and stuff, so when I got the part for an English-British accent, it was pretty sweet, “ Allen said. “I enjoy doing theater and I want to act when I’m older.”

According to Allen, tech is more geared toward focusing on cues. In “While the Lights Were Out” last year, the play had many cues where the crew needed to turn the lights on and off quickly for lightning.

“Tech is more focused on cues and not really getting to enjoy the show,” Allen said. “Acting, at least for me, I get to really experience all of it and enjoy it more. I get to be seen.”