The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

United Through Prayer: Lenten prayer groups helps students grow in their faith

Courtesy of Alex Keith
Praying as one, junior Julia Meyers joins the Lenten Prayer group during one of the before school sessions. “Honestly, I think it’s just really great to have a community where I can expand my faith and learn more about people’s ideas and grow with them, not only mentally, but spiritually,” Meyers said.

Junior Julia Meyers stepped into the conference room and took her seat. As more students began trickling in, the Lenten prayer group started. 

The group opened with two readings from the gospel of Mark and after the students and teachers reflected on it. Everyone shared how they can reflect this onto their day and went to Mass together.

“I try to come up with a small goal to reach or like a phrase or mindset to hold onto throughout the day to help me remember what was said,” Meyers said.

Dean of Students Alex Keith and math teacher Kayla Moylan lead a Lenten prayer group every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to help students grow in their faith throughout the Lenten season. 

“Mr. Keith and I got together two or almost three years ago and we thought it would be a good idea to try and get some students to come and pray together, guys and girls, and grow closer to the Lord,” Moylan said.

Keith wants to give students another outlet for God to do his work, and to take something he planned on doing personally in Lent and invite students to be a part of it.

“I can walk with them and journey with them through a special time in the church,” Keith said.

The goal, according to Keith, was to have the teachers initially lead it, but by the end of the Lenten season, let the students have a voice.

“I also hope that the way and direction in which we pray help people to grow one step closer to God,” Keith said. 

Meyers participates in the Lenten prayer group each morning. She said she was motivated to join so she could expand her faith and grow spiritually.

“Honestly, I think it’s just really great to have a community where I can expand my faith and learn more about people’s ideas and grow with them, not only mentally, but spiritually,” Meyers said.

Many of the students said that the group environment felt calming and peaceful. Meyers said that the members were able to speak without feeling embarrassed and felt that they could trust the other students. Meyers said that it feels like authentic relationships are being cultivated.

“It’s trustworthy, and we can open up,” sophomore Kenya Diaz said. “It is a judgment-free zone and everyone can speak up without being scared of what they’ll say.”

Junior Cooper Cahalan participated in the prayer group last year with his sister Stella Cahalan and has continued to be a part of it because he enjoys how he gets to be with other students and teachers that he does not have a class with. 

“It’s helped me with my faith life with God and given me a path,” Cahalan said. “I know I can pray to Him on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.”

Meyers said that her favorite part about the group is the community that it creates. She enjoys seeing new students come in and be reminded that they are all here for God’s glory.

“It gives so many opportunities to talk with people that have the same faith,” Meyers said. “The ways that we pray may be different, but we can all come together and appreciate each other’s viewpoints which I think helped me expand my own.”

Keith believes prayer plays an essential role in the community and brings people into the right frame of mind.

“I think our connection with God and any time we can raise our minds and hearts to God is a good thing,” Keith said. “Anytime we are in prayer, we are fulfilling the mission of what this school is all about.”