The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Connecting Through Competition: Students show spirit through herd system

Elaina Gibson
Students watched as all herds competed in Chicago ball on April 11. “I get so competitive because of Reardon pride,” junior Kristina Erskine said. “I want to prove that my herd is the best.”

Lining up to bat for a game of Chicago Ball, sophomore Christopher Reno gets ready to take a swing as his teammates and fellow herd members cheer him on.

Throughout the student body, the love of competition has been a driving factor in their want for success. While herd competitions have only been a part of Miege’s history for a short time, they have become a core foundation, creating passionate groups of people ready to show their talents.

“You can make new friendships with people inside your herds and grow closer to people in your grade,” Reno said. “You get to have bragging rights over your friends when you win, making us try our hardest. 

According to junior Oliva Lopez, competing with not only her friends but people from various grades has allowed her to form closer bonds and create a more passionate community. 

“It’s a good way for everyone to connect and discover our strengths and weaknesses,” Lopez said. “I think that’s what being a team is all about, working together towards a common goal.”

Through events like Powder Puff, students can use their competitiveness with their peers outside of the school setting. This flag football fundraiser had junior and senior girls battling for victory while simultaneously raising money for a worthy cause.

“It was a good opportunity to talk to more people and just be around my friends,” junior Alexa Grijalva Salcido.” I thought it was very fun and got me outside my comfort zone.”

According to junior Kristina Erskine, year-long events like herd games mixed with special events like Powder Puff have become an indispensable part of Miege culture. 

“Herd competitions are such an integral part of school spirit because they bring together under and upperclassmen, and creates a fun atmosphere where students can have a good time,” Erskine said. 

With over 130 state championships, sports have been imperative in creating a tight-knit community eager to support each other. Erskine says she has seen, especially this year,  how the community rallies around people suffering from devastating events. Knowing she has a supportive group of people on her side Erskine has the confidence to try new things and the motivation to win the Ursline Cup.  

“Reardon is a community of positive people who just want to contribute to the achievement of the herd,” Erskine said. “We strive for excellence and that means being challenged and fighting to win and succeed.

Sophomore Christopher Reno steps up to bat during herd competitions between Rost and Bohaty on April 11th.