The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Honoring The Past, Embracing The Future: Gym renovations uplift school spirit

Changes+to+the+new+gym+floor+design+took+place+two+days+before+the+installment.+
Sophia Gassett
Changes to the new gym floor design took place two days before the installment.

Miege’s motto of Nova et Vetera, the New and the Old, comes to fruition with new additions to the gymnasium, uplifting school spirit and the memory of Terry English. 

According to Dean of Students Alex Keith, the administrative team alongside the English family wanted to honor the past.The design process took over six months with changes occurring days before installment. 

“Terry English was the most successful coach in Kansas girls basketball history,” Keith said. “We wanted to do him and his legacy homage by putting his name on that court.” 

Accompanying the court, embellishments like new volleyball nets and court lines have upgraded the energy and support of the team. Senior Ava Martin, who has played four straight years on the varsity team finds the change positive for the future of the team. 

“The new nets are especially my favorite,” Martin said. “It’s more fun now because we have more space to run around and everyone can crowd the court.” 

According to Keith, the new LED light system allows for individual settings for different events, he believes the experience of mass in the gym will be amplified. 

“I think that environment plays a large role in the way that people feel about things,” Keith said.  “When you can control the environment down to how much light or how much sound is going on, it’s going to be better for everybody.” 

Benefits for the community are evident in multiple different facets of student life. With these new opportunities and improvements, the next generation of students will participate in building upon the new and the old. 

It’s really nice to have all these upgrades, especially for my senior year because I’m glad I got to see it and use it,” Martin said. 

It’s brought in the new century because it’s a space that has been done well,” Keith said. “We put our time and energy into where our entire school gathers and it will change every event.”