The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What’s not to Louvre about French?: Teacher offers up to six levels of French classes, more than any other school in the area

Margaret Moloney
French teacher Leigh-Ann Haggerty teaches French I-French VI.

Tucked away in the world language hallway is room 233, the French classroom. Lively chatter and engaging activities are a key part of the French experience at Miege. 

The French language has been a part of teacher Leigh-Ann Haggertys’ life since she was in middle school. She teaches French from amateurs to fluent speakers, from French I to French VI.

“My favorite thing is that I get to teach all levels of French, and so I know the kids really, really well,” Haggerty said. “That to me is the biggest blessing because I watch them grow up and learn the language and see them progress.” 

Haggerty has a unique opportunity as the only French teacher Miege offers, which makes it easy for many students to get to know her and vice versa. Several past students keep in contact with her to this day, chatting and even asking for help with French in college-level classes. 

“I don’t think I could teach the same thing every single day,”  Haggerty said. “It’s always fun because every year I’m discovering new things.” 

Haggerty has taught for Miege for the past five years and runs her own business as a dyslexic coach and tutor on the weekends. She knows how difficult it is to learn a new language as a dyslexic, so she uses numerous teaching strategies in class to aid students who might understand things better in a different way such as imagery, sound or engaging games. 

“I love our escape rooms,” Haggerty said. “I think those are really fun because a lot of you guys get to work together, and teach each other which is a great way to learn.”

One of the best ways to learn a language is through immersion and listening. When Haggerty was 14, she took part in an exchange program. She traded spots with her now best friend. Haggerty was sent off to France to live with her friend’s family, and her friend came here. 

“I’ll never forget her grandfather spent over an hour with me getting me to pronounce spoon in the correct way,” Haggerty said. 

After high school Haggerty pursued an education in Paris, she lived there for a year while nannying for a French family. 

“One of my favorite memories is when I went to school there,” Haggerty said. “My school rented out the top of the modern art museum in Paris to have a big Christmas party.” 

The party went on till 6 a.m., which was one culture shock Haggerty experienced.

“French people don’t go to parties until like 10 or 11 p.m., and they stay there all night,” Haggerty said. “Then they come home with the first trains in the morning because the Metro doesn’t run all night.” 

Haggerty believes it’s important to learn other languages and travel, so students can understand and appreciate all parts of the world. 

“When you travel, you understand somebody else’s point of view,” Haggerty said. “To see all perspectives and, specifically to France, they also have really good food.”