The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The End of Snow Days: Students adjust to the new learning from home policy

Due+to+high+amount+of+snow+days+and+the+construction+at+the+start+of+the+school+year%2C+a+new+snow+day+policy+is+now+in+place.+
Will Atchity
Due to high amount of snow days and the construction at the start of the school year, a new snow day policy is now in place.

Walking outside, students were greeted by yards covered in white blankets of snow, frosty-glazed roads and bone-chilling winds. This weather has kept students cooped up inside as negative- degree temperatures forced schools into canceling. However, these four January snow days looked special this year, as a new snow day policy was adopted to prevent school year extension.

The administration collaborated with other Archdiocese schools to develop solutions for hazardous weather conditions. Dean of Students Alex Keith believes enforcing a snow day policy backs this issue, as remote learning can qualify as a school day.

“In a typical year, we have anywhere from six to eight built-in snow days,” Keith said. “However, for example, we had a gas leak last year and had to call off school, so this year we prepared for potential incidents that could cause school off.”

School started a week later than usual due to construction, resulting in less room for snow days. On top of avoiding a stretched school calendar in spring, Keith discussed other benefits that come with virtual days.

“Online school keeps students in the mindset of learning and obtaining the content that they need to learn at school,” Keith said. “It does not replace in-person learning, as that is my ideal school day. I think it’s a good supplement to implement, rather than just not doing anything.”

Online learning may look across different households, as students’ home lives can be filled with various distractions. Sophomore Kierstin Moore faces challenges with virtual days in her environment.

“I have three dogs, three siblings and my pets are always barking while my siblings are constantly wanting to talk,” Moore said. “So it gets very loud and frustrating in my house, especially when I am trying to focus.”

While doing school work from home comes with some adversary for Moore, she also appreciates the perks that come with remote learning.

“Despite those distractions, I do like being able to work at my own pace and switch between different subjects,” Moore said. “It just can be difficult at times but overall I am grateful we will not have to add days.”

Students like Moore may experience obstacles such as home life distractions on snow days, but the policy was put in place with potential driving distances in mind. Sophomore Devyn Davis expressed how traveling to school under poor weather conditions affected his mornings and safety.

“I live 25 minutes away, and so the highway sucks whenever it is raining and snowing,” Davis said. “On those days I usually have to leave way earlier to drive slower than usual, and it takes up a lot more gas too. I also see wrecks over my shoulder more during that kind of weather.”

With a wide variety of backgrounds in the school community to consider, administration overall prioritizes student safety when making snow day calls.

“We were cognizant as an administrative staff to make school start and end on time this year,” Keith said. “Even just gaining back five days right away is going to be huge for us, and we will continue looking for new ways to address issues. I find that this policy was the best situation that we have for our current circumstances.”