Fresh in the Building: Freshmen reflect on their first year of high school

Emma Lazarczyk

Hands in the air, senior Black Allen demonstrates for the freshman how to get under the limbo stick. Behind him is freshman Jiselle Araiza waiting to go next.

Natalie Martinez, Staff Writer

Different faces and voices fill the freshman hallway as they walk to their first hour of the day. The freshman class this year has the most students out of all grades.

Going from middle school to high school has proved to be difficult, according to freshmen Jiselle Araiza. Araiza attended St. Agnes middle school and is a part of the 2025 class.

“Most of my grade came from St. Agnes so I know a lot of people,” Araiza said. “I like how I wasn’t alone in my transition.”

According to Araiza, high school has allowed her to make new relationships and participate in different activities.

“Joining many clubs and sports has helped me put myself out there,” Araiza said. “I do cross country and play softball in the spring. I’m also in the Spanish club.”

Unlike Araiza, freshman John Tucker attended Indian Woods Middle School before Miege. Tucker said the biggest change was his clothing choices.

“It was difficult because in middle school I didn’t have to wear a uniform,” Tucker said. “I’d wear whatever I want and now I have to wear a uniform.”

Like other freshmen, Tucker said he had his preconceptions about high school.

“I thought I was going to get bullied,” Tucker said. “I thought it was like the movies, [I thought] I’d get put in a locker, but it didn’t happen.”

For Araiza, the transition into high school was easier. Araiza said she was able to learn about high school from her brother and friends.

“I figured [high school] would be similar to middle school,” Araiza said. “High school work is not that bad. It does get a little harder but it’s all fine.”

High school has proved to be a benefit for some students like freshmen Alexa Garcia-Oseguera. According to Garcia-Oseguera, high school has helped her become more independent.

“In high school teachers treat you like adults,” Garcia-Oseguera said. “You have more freedom to say what you think.”

For Tucker, homework has been something that he’s struggled with since he entered high school.

“You take homework assignments really seriously because if you don’t do it it’ll add up,” Tucker said. “Then, you’ll be behind on missing assignments that are hard to get back to.”

The last full year of school freshmen had was the 6th grade. Due to COVID-19, the past school years have been spent online or with restrictions.

“I missed being in person,” Araiza said. “It’s weird to think how much time has passed since I last saw my friends.”

This year’s goal for Araiza is to take things seriously. Araiza said she is looking forward to learning from upperclassmen in many ways.

“[Upperclassmen] have a lot more experience that can help me be prepared for the real world,” Araiza said. “The upperclassmen are so nice and I want to be as calm as they are when they’re in stressful situations.”