The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

The Student News Site of Bishop Miege

Bishop Miege Press

Polls

What’s the best pizza topping?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

From Backyard to Bigtime: Moeller brothers continue their football journey together

Evan Ulmer
Hollis Moeller comes off the field during a game against St. James on Sept. 15. While Moeller’s first position is long snapping, he will also play tight end this year for the stags. Moeller has caught two touchdowns in three games.

After several years of serving the Stags, Hollis Moeller has made the decision to commit his time, skill and effort in the sport of football to the University of Kansas in Lawrence and coach of three years, Lance Leipold.

Moeller will play the role of long snapper for the Jayhawks. For Hollis, this is a reward of countless hours of hard work. 

“What I do, long snapping, people never really focus on,” Moeller said. “I try to put all my time and energy into what I do.”

Hollis’ brother, Mack, was a football player for Miege who graduated in 2021. Mack committed to Kansas during his senior year and is beginning his third year with the Jayhawks.

“Since my brother has done this before me, I’ll use him as a support tool,” Moeller said. 

Hollis acknowledges that Mack was a large part of his decision to play at Kansas. Only 3% of high school football players go on to play NCAA division one football, according to the NCAA. The odds of landing on the same team as a sibling are low, and both Moellers acknowledge the unique experience they will share.

“He was stoked,” Moeller said. “He kind of knew before everyone else, but he was still so excited for me.”

Hollis’ mother, Deb, said it was a realization of dreams for both brothers when Hollis committed to Kansas. 

“Mack was tickled,” Moeller said. “He had been pushing Hollis so hard to come up there and play for Kansas, and I know that it was one of the reasons that Hollis picked Kansas over Iowa.”

Mrs. Moeller has had a neutral view of both of the boys’ growth over the years, and said she has enjoyed watching both of them grow their relationship with football and with each other. 

“Hollis getting to be at Miege for a year while Mack was there really helped them grow into friends rather than big brother, little brother,” Moeller said. “They have a genuine relationship, and they really like each other. It’s interesting because as much as Hollis looks up to Mack, Mack is also super proud of Hollis and relies on him for some things too.”

Hollis’ commitment generated excitement on social media and in the stands. Hollis said he knows the Miege community is behind him.

“Definitely, I can feel the excitement,” Moeller said. “I don’t think there was anyone on the team who didn’t say something to me.”

Despite knowing where he will play his next four years of football, Hollis’ main focus remains repeating as a 4A state champion. Hollis is one of four team captains this year and understands his responsibility. 

“If you put in the work, the progression of the session and performing well in the day-to-day is the expectation,” Moeller said. “You can rely on everything you’ve prepared for.”